Friday, March 6, 2009

Gun update




This week has been test heavy at school. After studying since 4am for therapeutics and a pharmacology test today I decided I needed a little non-pharmacy fun time so I stopped by the gun store on my way home and picked up the brush attachment I've needed for the 270, and some cleaning resin. I had to pull myself away from drooling over their Colt Old Army revolvers, then came home and spent some quality time with the family and the 270 after the kiddies were in bed.

Unlike other more scientific gun enthusiasts who have very strict routines for gun cleaning, I approach cleaning a gun based on how many star trek episodes it takes to get the gun clean. Tonight I watched "Dagger in the Mind" and "Journey to Babylon" while working on my gun and figured that was a pretty decent job. It was definitely a good way to recover from a heavy week at school!

I tried to take a picture of the bore but was not very successful. It is somewhat clear in the two pictures I posted here that the bore actually looks really good but the external surface of the end of the barrel is pretty rough. I did manage to get the shoulder strap cleaned up with an abundance of saddle soap, so it no longer smells like smoke and dead cats.

I think I'll try to get it down to a gunsmith I've got a connection with and see what his recommendation is from here.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I like your measurement of time. I'm the same way...I've never been one to spend hours and hours cleaning my guns. The barrel looks a lot better. I'll be curious to hear what your gunsmith tells you.